"Unless the LORD builds the house its builders labour in vain."
Jersey Baptist Church has been in existence since September 1864, when a few like minded people met together in the home of Mr. Alfred Benest. The fellowship first rented the Temperance Hall in Providence Street, St. Helier, then bought Grove Street Chapel in 1865.
When Grove Street Chapel became too small, the French Independent Church worshipping in Vauxhall Street offered their building to JBC for a nominal sum of £700. The Vauxhall building was opened by Rev. Charles Spurgeon on 25th September 1887 and JBC has continued to meet in this building to the present day.
Over the years various alterations have been made to the church building. A new church hall and car park was opened in 1970 and more recently, in 2010, refurbishment projects were completed which included the removal and replacement of the downstairs pews with free-standing chairs, the creation of disabled access, and the refitting of the downstairs kitchen.
Outreach has always been a priority of JBC and the church's hope is that it would not just be an historic building, but a living church of God's people who can make a difference to the community in which it has been placed.